Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It's a wonderful life...

I mentioned in my first post that I wanted to learn to value what I have. I'm still working on that one. Yesterday, my best friend, someone who I admire a great deal, told me that she wanted me to just enjoy my life, because it's a good one. That's true and I don't take much time to stop and think that. I may not have the husband and two kids, but the amazing things I do have I should be eternally grateful for.

I went to Africa last year and I saw exactly how lucky I am. There are so many people there who go without the basic necessities in life, but I sit here and whine about what I don't have. The funny thing is those were some of the happiest people I have ever met in my life. They truly treasure everything in their lives and never take anything for granted.

There are so many ways in which I am blessed that I forget to be thankful for. I am one of those fortunate people who has been lucky enough to make friends who I will carry with me my entire life. Whether it's my mom's cancer, my dad's alcoholism, getting dumped by my ex fiance....they have never wavered. In the past year, I have been lucky enough to make even more of these lifelong friends. They call me on my shit, but run to be my side when I need it. Life has twists and turns, and fortunately my life has led me to many of these people.

Maybe I'm feeling sappy because I'm stuck inside due to a sore throat and cold, but I just feel very happy to have all these people in my life. What I don't have now doesn't matter nearly as much as what I do have.

1 comment: